CA, CFA, CMA, MCOM/BCOM, CS
Audit & Control
Work from Office
- With the General Manager, lead the promotion and monitoring of compliance locally, taking into account the compliance objectives set by the Chief Risk & Compliance Office ("CR&CO")
- Responsible for ensuring the Compliance risk for the India office is within the defined acceptable levels as per the overall Firm's guidelines
- Identifying and assessing key risks and ensuring that overall risks within the office are effectively identified and mitigated
- Provide periodic, regular and accurate reports to the General Manager on regulatory and compliance matters
- Work closely with all business areas and support functions (Internal Audit, HR, ICT, Procurement and Information Security) on business controls awareness and trends
- Provide continuous proactive advice, support and risk/compliance sign-off for all external contracts/engagements of the India office.
- Maintain and update the Compliance requirements for India office and keep abreast of global and regulatory changes
- Implement the global compliance risk reporting at the Office level
- Conduct continuous Compliance risk assessments, Compliance status monitoring and gap analysis, including professional documentation
- Lead local office efforts to create awareness of Clifford Chance global policies and procedures and provide compliance advice and guidance to partners, lawyers and business professionals. This includes:
- Participating in the creation of new global policies and actively promoting awareness of and compliance with new global policies in the local office.
- Monitoring compliance with global policies in the local office.
- Where applicable, designing local policies that align with global policies and liaising with the HIC on any differences in local policies that may be required.
- Identifying and analysing incidences of non-compliance and implementing rectification measures.
- In relation to our gifts and hospitality policy:
- Advise the team in [specify office(s)] office on queries relating to gifts and hospitality.
- Be an advisor to the central compliance team on gifts and hospitality requiring central compliance approval in relation to any local restrictions or specific local concerns.
- Proactively monitor local regulatory changes which may have an impact on the operations of the Firm and existing policies and procedures and advise the GM and central compliance function of any such changes and their impact potentially on the firm.
- Design, develop and implement preventive monitoring mechanisms with respect to compliance objectives
- Keeping abreast of regulatory changes, new regulations and internal policy changes in order to further identify new key risk areas
- Achieve active collaboration with risk owners and stakeholders
- Manage potential and actual issues at the office effectively, efficiently and legally reliable
- Provide assistance to conduct special investigations or reviews as and when required
- Ensure ongoing, effective risk communication and training of managers, employees, business partners and of other third parties
- To serve as primary point of contact for the firm's Risk & Compliance team within the India office
- To assist with or lead process improvements to improve the performance of services of the Risk & Compliance team
- To contribute to and carry out global compliance projects within India, as and when required
- Manage end-to-end service delivery from the India office
- Manage the growth and success of the compliance teams in India, in areas of risk & compliance, data privacy, conflict clearance, client acceptance research, legal compliance, etc.
- Communicate job expectations of the Risk & Compliance team based in India; planning, monitoring, appraising and reviewing job contributions
- Plan, schedule, and review workload and manpower to make sure targets are being met on a cost-effective basis
- Manage stakeholder relationships including providing relevant reports and holding regular meetings with stakeholders
- Identify risks to service delivery success and drive activities to mitigate those risks
- Proactively contribute to on-going development and process improvements
- Coaching and developing team members, monitoring performance and initiating action to strengthen results
- Conducting timely performance evaluations
- Supporting the Risk and Compliance team in managing queries submitted through the firm's Compliance and Legal platform, and ensuring these queries are assigned to the appropriate member of the team
- Assisting with appropriate follow up on queries raised through the Legal and Compliance platform
- Analyzing trends in queries and responses to assist with the Compliance Team with future planning.
- Design, develop and implement preventive monitoring mechanisms with respect to compliance objectives.
- Together with the HIC:
- Implement, operate and develop the compliance management system for the India office taking into account specific local requirements and legislation
- Identify compliance objectives for the India offices
- Monitor the development and implementation of mandatory risk and compliance training programmes
- Develop and/or implement new standardised compliance processes, rules and regulations
- Develop and implement an effective system for communicating compliance topics; and
- Develop a compliance culture and raise awareness of compliance issues and the Clifford Chance Compliance Policy.
- Other responsibilities that may be described in the Clifford Chance Compliance Policy from time to time or which may be ancillary to the responsibilities described above.
- 12+ years of experience at a multinational organisation with responsibilities to include managing Legal, risk and Compliance for the India entity
- Working with the shared services division of a global professional services firm, handling global client and stakeholder interactions
- Experience in establishing and managing compliance teams as part of shared services organisation
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Ability to write proposals, risk reports with clear purpose and well-defined outcomes
- Influencing and negotiation skills
- Strong senior stakeholder management skills
- Change management experience
- Service & delivery excellence, along with continuous service improvement
- Proven ability to solve problems in a methodical and practical way
- The ability to gather and analyse information and to use the results of that analysis to make effective decisions and find innovative solutions to problems
- The ability to advise on a range of issues and where necessary adapt skills to address emerging issues
- Ability to articulate the challenges a business operation faces when consistent change is being delivered
- Ability to understand, analyse, interpret and report on operational performance data
- Ability to advise on a range of issues and where necessary adapt skills to address emerging issues
- Ability to gather and analyse information and to use the results of that analysis to make effective decisions and find innovative solutions to problems
- Ability to effect organisational change through innovation, as well as defined & documented processes
- Self-starter, ability to work independently and at the same time as integral part of virtual teams
- A bachelor's degree in Law from a reputed institute
- Company Secretary accreditation from The Institute of Company Secretaries of India